A BRIEF DESCRIPTION ON DIGITAL MARKETING
Submitted By : Subhasish Chakraborty (Department of BBA : Session - 2017-2020)
Firstly let us discuss about marketing in a precise way.
So, what is marketing?
:- Before knowing about marketing we need to know about market.
The term ‘Market’ originates from the latin word Marcatus which means a place where business is conducted. It is a place where the buyers and sellers personally interacts and finalize the deals. It not only involves exchange of goods and services but also provides an opportunity of exchanging goods and services for money.
According to Phillip Kotler, “Marketing is that social process by which individuals and groups obtain what they need and want through creating, offerings and freely exchanging products and services of value with others”.
According to J.F. Pyle, “Marketing is that phase of business activity through which human wants are satisfied by the exchange of goods and services”.
According to H.L. Hansen, “Marketing is the process of discovering and translating consumer needs and wants into products and services and in turn making it possible for more people to enjoy more and more of products and services”.
Now we have a clear cut knowledge about market and marketing.
But in our modern era/period there is new updated concept of marketing which is popularly known as Digital Marketing. So let us have brief description about the concept of Digital Marketing.
Digital Marketing has become one of the most popular buzzwords nowadays. So, basically what is Digital Marketing?
:- The process of marketing of products or services using digital technologies, mainly on Internet, but also including mobile phones, display advertising, and any other digital medium. Digital Marketing channels are system based on the Internet that can create, accelerate, transmit product value from producer to the terminal consumer by digital networks.
Digital Marketing is also referred to as ‘Online Marketing’, ‘Internet Marketing’ or ‘Web Marketing’. The term Digital Marketing has grown in popularity over time. In USA Online Marketing is still a popular term. In Italy, Digital Marketing is referred to as Web Marketing. In Worldwide Digital Marketing has become the most common term, especially after the year 2013.
Let us discuss about the importance of Digital Marketing:-
- Audience Reach out :- Impactful and attractive visual contents are made and widely promoted over social media. Through such networks buyers can gain information about products and services. Through Digital Marketing, marketers can reach out to customers any time without bothering them with any phone calls and other outdated methods of communication.
For example, e-mails and newsletters can be used for inviting customers to make a purchase and learn about the offerings and brands.
- Communication :- With help of feedback interactive communication/marketing is possible. Customers can communicate with the companies about their products and services through digital platforms in the form of feedback. Feedback helps to make brand offerings better.
- Result Oriented Approach :- Nowadays competition is everywhere both in business and marketing. There is always another brand or company colluding to overthrow another. There are advanced strategies in Digital Marketing to improve website’s search engine ranking which will help sites to come on top of the Search Engine Results Page(SERP).
These strategies helps a company/business to get an edge over its competitors. Such as SEO(Search Engine Optimization) which is strategy to drive high quality intent-based traffic to the page.
Now, we know about Digital Marketing and its importance to the marketers as well as to the customers.
In the importance of Digital Marketing, we found SERP and SEO. Let us discuss about these two concepts.
SERP :- SERP stands for Search Engine Results Page. SERP are the web pages served to users when they search for something online using search engine, say Google. The user enters their search query upon which the search engine presents them with a SERP. Every SERP is unique, even for search queries performed on the same search engine using same keywords or search queries.
SEO :- SEO stand for Search Engine Optimization. It is the process of making a web page easy to find, easy to crawl, and easy to categorize. It is about helping the customers to find out business/brands from among thousand other companies/brands. SEO is an integral part of any Digital Marketing strategy.
For any business, advertising is of utmost need. When any business/company goes online, the advertising works better to gain a huge amount of web traffic. SEO gives an opportunity for a great deal of free advertising. A proper SEO makes a website rank in the first page of SERP. And a statistics says that people generally scan and review the first two pages of the SERP.
This is all about SERP and SEO.
Lastly, we will discuss about the advantages and disadvantages of Digital Marketing.:-
- Advertisement is cheaper on the Internet than the print advertisement. It has a much wider reach.
- Digital Marketing helps business to be open 24X7(365 Days) where customers are welcome to shop anytime and from anywhere. This increases the website traffic.
- Digital methods make the product reaches customers in easiest way. It also adds value to the product.
- It also helps in creating reliability and gain trustworthiness and confidence of the customers.
- It also helps to get updates the subscribers/customers through e-mails.
- Updating an information over a period of time is a time consuming and critical issue.
- As it is an online process so companies need experts assistance.
- It is a costly process.
- Dependability on technology.
- Security and privacy issues.